With an ice storm headed to our area and more winter weather possible for the next few months, we thought we would share this great information found on hankooktire.com. Remember to think before the storm to avoid rushing anywhere when bad weather hits as this can greatly impact your safety on the roads!
Winter tires are made with a different rubber compound that has better grip in cold weather and an optimized tread width. This difference provides extra grip, preventing the car from slipping on snowy or icy roads. Even cars equipped with four-wheel drive need winter tires.
For increased safety, be sure to change all four tires to winter tires.
Factors to Consider When Driving Under Wintery Roads
- Always drive with two hands on the steering wheel
- Before turning a corner, make sure to slow down
- Do not accelerate while turning a corner. In the case where you accelerate or brake abruptly, your vehicle may lose balance
- Use brakes on straight roads
- On a downhill, use the engine brake
- Refrain from switching lanes on roads with a lot of snow
- On icy roads, you need at least eight times the distance compared to a dry road keep your distance from the next vehicle in front of you